Sunday, January 9, 2011

Coat closet

Todays challenge in the 21 day organizational challenge was the coat closet. I recently cleaned and organized my coat closet (located in our dining room), though I failed to take any before pictures:( I stored away all of the kids coats and gloves that were too small and donated any items that I had not worn recently. Unfortunately, I was unable to convince my husband to part with a single one of his 9 coats and jackets.

Sadly that is not the extent of our coat storage for our small family of four. We also have an over the door coat rack which hangs on our back door and holds the coats that we wear daily in the winter. I love having this rack near the back door as it keeps everything accesible and organized.

When we are not using the rack in the warmer months we simply remove the rack and store it in the coat closet.


We also keep our shoes in a shoe organizer near the back door. Though it would be nice to hide the shoes and coats in the closet or mudroom, with 2 kids it is easier to have a space in the house to get ready to go where it is warm. This centralized location prevents us from tracking all the dirt and grime on our shoes into the rest of the house as well. In case you were wondering, my husband also has more shoes, 6 pair to my 4!



We keep all of our gloves and hats in one of the storage boxes on the top shelf and my husbands collection of baseball caps in the other. I also keep my camera and videocamera boxes and supplies on this shelf.

My husband keeps some work supplies in the bin on the floor. We use the bags on the floor for swimsuits and clothes to take to the gym or as a beach bag while boating. Finally, I keep the tv trays, though we have not ever used them to eat off of, I have used them in the past as side tables and cannot get rid of them just yet.

This coat closet is nice and functional for all of our needs, though it would be nice to have it located at either of the main entrances to our house and not smack dab in the middle of the house.

I am linking to A Bowl Full of Lemons 21 Day Organizational Challenge.

No comments: