Monday, January 3, 2011

The Catchall- Desk Area

Well, you caught me! I pride myself in being a fairly organized and tidy person, but there is one place in my house where all the junk gets thrown to be put away another time. This catchall area in my home is the built-in desk in our dining room.

When we first moved into this home, I was so excited to have this built in desk. I entertained ideas of storing my scrapbooking materials here, but the cabinets are much more shallow than I originally thought. It became home to our printer, paper, pens, bills, envelopes, phone books, etc. Though the cupboards and drawers remain fairly neat and organized, the top is usually covered with items that belong in other areas of the house. For example, my before picture contained my daughters' clothes from the day, leftover supplies from a craft project, pictures that needed to be labeled and put away, files that needed to be put away and more. Here is a closer view of the clutter on top of the desk:

I removed everything and sorted where it went according to area. I labeled the pictures and put them away, filed away the files, put the clothes in the laundry and so on. Finally, I dusted the shelves and the desktop. Here is the desk once everything was put away:


I can't promise it will stay like that for long, but one can hope!
I am linking to A Bowl Full of Lemons 21 day organization challenge.

No comments: