Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Elizabeth, IL- Third Home

Our next house, in Elizabeth, IL was another two story home. This one also had a grand wood railing on the staircase and a very large entryway. To the right was the living room and a play room. The dining room could be entered from the entryway and living room. To the left of the dining room was a bedroom with an en suite toilet (in the closet). To the right was the kitchen. There was a bathroom and mudroom (my mom's sewing room) at the back of the house. Upstairs there were three bedrooms and a bathroom. My sister and I shared a room upstairs, my oldest brother had his own room and the two youngest shared the other.

Just four years after moving, my parents marriage finally dissolved. My father got an apartment across town. My mom moved her room to the playroom off of the living room and I got to have my very own room! This is the very first room I can remember having any say in the decorating and I was hooked! I loved deciding on the furniture layout for the room, what posters I wanted on the walls and what colors I would use. Though we didn't buy anything new for the room, we did get a three way mirror from an aunt who no longer needed it. We also painted my old dresser white to go with my color scheme. I spent most of my free time holed up in my room listening to music and reading books. I loved it!

By the time I graduated 6th grade, my mom had met somebody. He was from Dubuque and she still worked there, so it only made sense to move. We moved from Elizabeth, IL to East Dubuque, IL in the summer of 1993.

No comments: