Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Holy mustard walls batman!

Our dining room was a neutral khaki/tan color when we moved in and was not high on my priority list for paint. That hunter green carpet though, that was one of the first things on my to-do list. Can you blame me?

I found some valances on clearance at JCPenney before we moved in that I thought looked very Tuscan/Italian with red, green and gold stripes. The fruit themed decor that I had accumulated over the years also fit the Tuscan/Italian theme with the rich jewel tones.

I had planned on painting the room a golden yellow like that found in my valances and dining room decor. Well, on a recent trip to WalMart, I found a gallon of oops paint in a beautiful mustard yellow that I thought would be perfect for the dining room. I wasn't sure what my husband would think, so I left it and a quart of 1/2 price chalkboard paint behind. A few days later, I could not get the paint out of my mind and returned to the store. I was so excited to see that the mustard paint was still there, but alas, somebody had snatched up the chalkboard paint. My husband was not digging the mustard color, but I assured him that it would be fine. At $7.50 for the gallon, the worst thing that would happen would be that I would have to repaint the room if we didn't like it.
I finally got to painting the dining room the other night and the difference is incredible. The mustard color really accentuates the beautiful color of the wood trim, floors and furniture. It makes the room feel so cozy and warm.



Replacing the tile in the fireplace surround has also been on my to do list, but with the new paint it seems to blend so much better.

The paint does seem a bit bright and is kind of overwhelming on all four walls! I am thinking about doing a wash or a faux painting technique to give the walls more of a weathered look like the walls of a Tuscan villa. For now though, I am ecstatic to have banished another neutralized room for something that better fits our style!

No comments: