Saturday, August 14, 2010

Long absence!

Thanks to a horrible computer virus, I have been unable to use my computer for quite some time. Luckily, I have a wonderful husband, who tackled the virus head on not once, but twice and restored my computer to working order! Unfortunately, the break from my computer did not make me any more productive with the list of projects I have to do.
I did finally get inspired to finish up two little projects that have been bothering me for quite some time. I painted our living room a light cream color soon after we moved in, in November 2009. I just realized that I could have had a child in the time that it took me to get around to finishing this project! Our walls are textured and I painted the room in the middle of the night while the kids were sleeping. There is no overhead light, so I was painting with a small lamp for light. I packed everything up around 3am and thought that it looked pretty good. Upon inspecting the paint job in the morning with the sun shining brightly in all of the windows, I noticed a few areas that still had the previous mint green color showing through. Yuck! Fast forward to today and my husband and daughter were gone for the afternoon and my son was taking a nap. I pulled out the paint can, some tape and a foam brush. After taping off the baseboard (most of the visible spots were along the baseboard in the darkest corner) I mixed up the little bit of leftover paint with the foam brush and touched up the wall. My husband came home in the middle of this and exclaimed, "What are you doing now!?" When I explained to him that the spots were bothering me over the past 9 months or so he revealed that he hadn't even noticed them! We are so different in our approach to things, I am a complete perfectionist, while he just wants to get things done quickly and easily, and not necessarily right. Whether he noticed it or not, it definitely makes me feel better to have it done!
The second thing that I did was to add a second coat of stain to the baseboard in our master bathroom. When we originally refinished our master bathroom we bought new trim and tried to stain it to match the trim in the rest of the house. When the first coat of stain turned kind of dull grayish brown, I thought that we had the wrong color of stain and did not even attempt a second coat. The baseboards really bothered me because they did not match the doors and trim that we left in the room and did not stand out enough against the grayish wall color. Now the trim is closer to matching and really stands out against the wall color. I may have to use a coat of poly to get the shine/wet look that I like, but for now I love the difference that it made!
I have a few other small projects that I would like to share soon!

No comments: