Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Cheap Wall Art

Vinyl wall decor is really popular right now. There are tons of different applications from vinyl pictures you can use to decorate a child's room or nursery, calendars, monograms, holiday decor and phrases and quotes. I really love the look of the vinyl phrases, but hate the way that it comes out on my textured walls. I decided to use the quotes that I love in a different way. I had a picture frame that I was not using that I had purchased at a garage sale or goodwill several years ago.


I chose a red scrapbook paper out of my stash and cut it to size. I spent some time looking at different websites for ideas on phrases and font styles that I liked. I then printed the phrase, "Family todays little moments become tomorrow's precious memories" on plain white paper. I cut the phrase out using my scrapbooking scissors and glued it to the red paper. Finally, I popped it back in the frame and hung it up in my living room.


I loved it so much that I decided to do another one. This time I wanted a specific kind of paper that I did not have in my stash, so I went to Hobby Lobby and picked up the perfect paper. Again, I looked online and found a phrase and font style that I liked and printed it on plain white paper. I cut the phrase out using my scrapbook scissors and added a black piece of paper behind it to make it pop. I didn't have a frame for this one, so I purchased a $3 frame at WalMart. Both pieces cost me less than $5 using supplies that I already had on hand.


It's not quite the same as vinyl, but I think I love it even more!

I linked this project to Debbie at Debbiedoos Before and After party.
Also Sarah at Thrifty Decor Chick's Before and After Party.

2 comments:

Debbiedoos said...

I think it is adorable. I love learning and getting so many fun creative ideas out here in blogland...thanks for the inspiration, and for joining in. Hope to see you again. I would love if you added my link or button to the post..thank you. Debbie

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

Very fun! Love both the quotes.