Sunday, April 17, 2011

Jewelry Organization

I do not have an extensive jewelry collection by any stretch of the imagination, but I do have a few pieces that I wear frequently and would like to be able to access easily. Up to this point, I have hung my necklaces from a hook in the bathroom closet. Though hanging them kept them from getting tangled up, it was difficult to find the piece I wanted because the closet is not well lit and I had all of my jewelry on just 2 hooks.
I have seen several different blogs create jewelry organizers out of empty frames and some beautiful fabrics. Recently it dawned on me that I had filled a frame with a coordinating fabric for the decor in my bathroom soon after the renovation because I did not have enough artwork.

I eventually found some artwork that I liked and the frame was banished to the attic. I rescued the frame from the attic several weeks ago and removed the glass, which was broken anyways. I then grabbed some hooks that I had laying around the house and screwed them into the backer board of the frame. Several of the other bloggers that I have seen do this used mdf or scrap wood to create a sturdier back, but I did not feel that this was necesarry. The screws got caught on the fabric and made funny gathers, so I just cut a slit in the fabric for the hook.

I obviously did not use my jewelry to place the hooks! I wish that I would have put them up a bit higher, but now it leaves me space to put in an extra hook that would be perfect for bracelets.

I actually let the frame sit on the floor for a few weeks to see if I would like it. I thought that maybe it was too much for one wall because I have a towel bar and two framed tin pieces right next to it. For the most part, the jewelry organizer is covered when the door is open, so really you will only see it when the bathroom door is closed. Since we are really the only ones to use the bathroom, I decided to go ahead and hang it up, and I am so glad that I did.
How do you organize your jewelry?

No comments: