Sunday, April 3, 2011

Dresser turned art display

My daughter has had this dresser/changing table combo since she was an infant. Though I no longer use the changing table, we do still use the drawers for extra storage, and we will continue to do so. Because I plan to continue to use this dresser in her room, I wanted to make it transition to something that could be useful as she ages.

I looked at the inset panel on the side of the drawers and thought that I should be able to put cork in it to function as a display area for her artwork now and for notes and pictures as she ages. I purchased a package of four 12 inch cork tiles at Target for around $6.50 (tax included) and used the adhesive included in the package to adhere two full size cork tiles. I then measured and cut up the two remaining tiles to fill in the rest of the opening. The dresser looked like this once all the cork had been installed.

I think that some kind of dry erase surface or chalkboard could also be really cute and useful in a child's room.

Once all the cork was installed, my daughter could not wait to display her art.

Now I need to get to work making some cute boxes for the shelves at the back. I am thinking something like these decorative duct tape boxes from Allison at House of Hepworths.

No comments: