Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Chalkboard

I recently purchased this chalkboard at my local Goodwill for $2.50.


I had been looking for a chalkboard or something that I could make into a chalkboard to cover a hole from a large built in intercom/stereo in my kitchen. When we first moved in the stero was a dark brown. At some point, I hung newspapers and covered everything with drop cloths in order to spray paint the stereo white in hopes to make it blend into the wall more. Painting the stereo white did help to make it less noticeable, but because we have an undercabinet radio and the intercom was not functioning on the unit, there was no reason to keep it.

I knew that I should have taken a picture of it before I unhooked the stereo, but in my haste to remove the ugly intercom and hang up my great find, I totally forgot! This picture shows a similiar unit that used to be in our master bedroom.

Right after removing the stereo/intercom, I hung my new chalkboard. My husband walked through the kitchen as I finished hanging it and said, "That's great, but what are you going to do when it is not Christmas?" (referring to the snowy scene that was modge podged to the chalkboard. I shook my head that hubby does not know me better than that and explained to him that I would be removing the Christmasy picture and replacing it with something that would better match the decor in my kitchen. I immediately peeled off the Christmas picture using a kitchen scraper and my nails. Once it was a clean slate I dug through my scrapbook stash for some apple paper that I adore. I cut it to size and modge podged it in place using a cotton makeup applicator since I did not have any brushes handy. The applicator left some strings behind, which I just picked out before going over everything once more with a fresh applicator. I left the chalkboard hanging right on the wall to dry.

Now I just need to purchase some chalk!

No comments: