Monday, December 13, 2010

Christmas Card Display

So did you figure out what baby item I used to display the Christmas cards my family receives? Come on take a guess...



It is the rail to a baby crib. My mother had a whole crib in her garage when we cleaned it out about 4 years ago. As I was expecting, I decided to take it home and use it for our little one. When I went to put it together, we realized that there were a few pins and screws missing. Though we could have gotten replacement parts, we decided against using the crib in the end as it could have been recalled or even contained lead paint. Though the crib was unusable for it's intended purpose, I could not bear to throw it out, so I put it in the basement to store until I could find a use for it.

That year for Christmas I moved the crib out of the way to get to all of my boxes of decor. After getting everything out and decorating the house I placed the empty boxes and bins back in the basement and noticed the crib again. This time I thought, why not use the crib railing to display all of my Christmas cards from friends and family. I love receiving these cards in the mail and keep them on display until well after the holidays, but had never had a great way to display them besides setting them up on matels and table tops or taping them to the wall. I picked the crib rail up and took it straight upstairs. I set it on top of my buffet cabinet and knew that it was perfect. I immediately ran out to buy some clothes pins to attach the cards and voila, a perfect display for all of the beautiful cards and pictures we receive during the Holidays!




As simple as it is, this is one of my absolute favorite pieces of Holiday decor. I have actually thought about leaving it up throughout the year to display any cards, letters and pictures that we receive.

What is your favorite piece of decor, Holiday or otherwise? Is there an item in your home that you repurposed to give new life? I would love to hear about it!

I am linking to Kim at Newlywoodwards DIY Blog Party all about traditions
Dare to DIY

No comments: